Monday, September 10, 2007

Colin Powell on Barak Obama

From GQ's new interview with Colin Powell:

You've met with Barack Obama a couple of times and given him advice. Is it possible that you will support him?
I will give advice to any of the principal candidates. I've met with others, including John McCain and Rudy Giuliani. Barack called me and came by, and we had a long talk. Right before he decided to run, we talked again about the presidency and the type of decisions and problems that come in the middle of the night. I think he's a very impressive man, I think he's very smart, and I think he's going to be a formidable candidate.

Do you think he'd be a good president?
I don't want to start saying who would be a good president and who wouldn't. I will say that I don't see any among the major candidates who I think is unqualified to be president.

Would you be tempted to support Obama, even though he's a Democrat, because he would be transformational?
He is transformational because he is a black man who has become one of the leading candidates of a major party. That is exciting. It's transformational. But am I going to support him? I am going to be for who I think is the best person. Not the best Republican, not the best Democrat, not the best black guy or the best woman. I'm going to try to figure out who could best serve this country. And that's who I will be voting for.

Read the full interview here

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home